A WELL STYLED LIFE

...style is more than what you wear, it's how you live your life

March 28, 2013

Wearing Lace

...romantic...feminine...delicate...luxurious...


Lace seems to having its moment. 
Again, always.

A client of mine saw this lace top on the J.Crew website.

She wanted us to work it into her wardrobe. Newly back on the dating scene, we have been tweaking her look a bit. It was important not to wear "girly" (her phrase) clothes, but she wanted to add more feminine touches. She wanted lace.



With broad shoulders and narrow hips, she is an inverted triangle silhouette. She looks best in clothes with some shaping through the torso or she tends to look heavier than she is.

Preferring comfortable, sporty, easy care clothes, she will not hand wash or use the dry cleaners. She has a casual lifestyle and likes to dress for comfort at work and during her leisure time.
She doesn't care for fussy details and has a wholesome, natural look about her.

This J.Crew top would add ten pounds to her appearance.
We took a trip to Nordstrom to try on some lace alternatives.

We found a blouse similar to the J.Crew for her to try. She hated how it looked on her, said she looked pregnant in it. Then she tried on lace blouses with a more structured shape, stretch lace, woven lace and was not feeling comfortable in any of them. Lace skirts were ruled out without even taking them into the dressing room.

We finally ended up in the lingerie department.
Having this Hanky Panky lace camisole show at the neckline of her classic white blouse felt great to her. Just enough to be feminine, not too much for her casual, sporty style.

We styled it with the top few buttons of her classic white shirt open to make a large "V" of the shirt opening. Then we tucked it into her jeans for some waist definition. She loved the look. Just a hint of lace showed. Stretchy and comfortable, it is machine washable on the gentle cycle and she can just air dry it.
We have more work to do on her new wardrobe needs, but this was a simple solution to her desire to wear lace.
Are you a fan of lace?

How do you wear your lace?

19 comments:

  1. I have the same problem as your client does with tops that aren't fitted. They make me look much bigger so I steer clear. The last time I tried on a loose fitting top, my husband asked if I was pregnant. Not really the look I was going for!
    I happen to own that very same Hanky Panky top in that very same style and color! I wore it last year in a blog post about lace. How funny!
    Hanky Panky also makes a long-sleeved, sheer top with a crew neck that is very nice. I bought one last fall in a deep burgundy color and wore a nude camisole underneath. Your client might look great in that look too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried that look and she didn't want that much lace showing! I love Hanky Panky things.

      Delete
  2. I own a similar lace camisole which I love to layer, just showing a glimpse of the lace.
    Lace can be too sheer to wear at my age and with my ample figure.
    I like the heavier coverage of a cashmere sweater or a jersey with some weight...
    that's such a pretty image you've chosen of that young woman at her dressing table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that J. Crew shirt would cut me off just in the wrong place too. It is lovely though. Your client is fortunate you were resourceful and found a great alternative!

    Black lace can look a little too "Victorian Widow" on me, but I really like some of the brightly colored lace I've been seeing. That top photo? If only. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been a fan of lace and I love the J Crew top. I have a couple of similar cream tops with longer sleeves - a really useful and versatile addition to my wardrobe as they can be dressed up or down. The camisole is very pretty.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If lace is your look, there is a lot of it around this season.

      Delete
  5. I own that Hanky Panky camisole in blush pink, it's a great piece and I really like the way you solved your client's wish for a bit of lace in her wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several but would love to it in blush pink. Must keep my eye out for it

      Delete
  6. I really only wear lace the way you've styled it for your client. I prefer a peek of it rather than a full on lace top. That camisole is exactly the kind of thing I'd buy for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I do have a black lace skirt I can't seem to part with but never seem to wear. And I did wear a vintage lace dress as my mother of the bride dress last year...but haven't worn it since.

      Great advice for your client!

      Delete
  7. Two thumbs up on your solution. It's my favorite way to wear lace. I adore lace, not surprising, since my tante Jeanette lived in Alençon. She sent me the most gorgeous lace for my wedding gown and veil when I got married.

    Lace is not only ultra-feminine, but it carries with it a whiff of vintage about it. At my age, femininity is still very much to be desired, but you must be careful of "vintage" items. They can make you look vintage, a/k/a "old."

    You can also risk looking like your grandmother's tablecloth, if you're not careful.

    I have a favorite fitted cotton cami with a lace top that is feminine and sexy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...lace tablecloth is not a good look on any of us!

      Delete
  8. Great advice for your client and the rest of us - I steer clear (or try to!) from those types of tops as well. I love a top that just skims. I am not familiar with hanky panky - am off to take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lace...on my lingerie, hidden under my clothes and seen only by the person I choose to share it with! I bought a lace long sleeved tee a few years ago, layering it over a same colored tee. Wore it once and gave it to my daughter. I feel like I'm in costume when I wear girly clothes, or anything too flowing and unfitted....unless it's a man's sweater or Oxford, and those need to be paired with a very close fitting silhouette on the bottom so I don't look like a tent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too on loose tops, I buy them for comfort but because my bust is quite big for the rest of me, it just gives me the tent effect but it's that or suck belly in all day so sometimes I succumb anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I bought a lace piece (appropriate for my age) but am thinking of returning it. Most definitely exchanging it for a smaller size. I love the idea of putting it under a tailored shirt. Loved reading this post. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty post. I wear lace often, but I am really particular about the quality of lace. I love lace tanks under v-neck sweaters and cardigans- really a staple in my closet. I prefer smooth lace to ruffly bits- more flattering, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  13. New reader here! I'm so glad lace is making a comeback, as I love how it looks. I love fit and flare lace dresses and lace tops with full skirts. I love how "vintage" it looks!

    ReplyDelete