A WELL STYLED LIFE

...style is more than what you wear, it's how you live your life

July 6, 2014

Chivalry is Alive and Well



My daughter has been visiting for the last ten, happy, jam packed days. Sandwiched between the family events...we managed to steal away for several Mom and daughter adventures. Always my favorite!

We spent several days relaxing in the Napa Valley...wine tasting, laughing and generally eating our way out of our summer clothes:).

Napa Valley
Apparently we all got the white Fedora with black trim memo!


My sister-in-law joined us at Bouchon Bistro in Yountville, to help christen our trip. Crag legs, mussels, olives and wine began our delicious lunch! The atmosphere was bustling and fun, which got us right in the party mood.   


traveling in Napa


We checked into the charming Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill. This boutique hotel in the Historic Hatt Building is situated right on the Napa River.  The hotel has been honored with acceptance into the National Trust Historic Hotels of America...with luxuriously updated rooms...very comfortable beds...organic body care products and thick fluffy robes. 

After exploring some of the waterfront we had dinner on the courtyard at Celadon It's a casually elegant restaurant, well known for elevating Global Comfort Food to soaring heights. The cuisine is a Mediterranean, Asian, American fusion. Our meals were amazing and of course the wine list was stellar. We asked for crayons with our appetizer and spent the evening laughing, catching up and coloring silly pictures on their paper table overlay.

Napa valley wine tasting


The following day, we had to do some sampling on the gorgeous, sunny terrace at Domaine Carneros. The Chateaux terrace is one of the prettiest places to soak up the wine tasting atmosphere. No surprise, we soaked up a bit of their wine too.

Willow Spa in Sonoma


Our next stop was a memorable day in the Willow Stream Spa at The Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn. It's a gorgeous facility with pampering services, wonderful food and attentive staff. We spent several hours "taking the waters" indoors...before heading poolside. We drank copious amounts of their fruit infused water and snacked on fresh fruits...awaiting our massages.

Spa in California wine country


After our massages, we floated outside to further relax by the pool. Their lunch menu was full of delicious options. A shared plate of Calamari and fresh green salads were the perfect light meal. Laying by the pool, a glass of Domaine Carneros Brut in hand, I thought...I could just live here and be totally content.

~~

Redwood Forest Sausalito CA

Several days later we took a trip to explore Muir Woods. A quiet experience...we did a lot of looking up... just breathing in the nature. I knew it was a gorgeous spot, but had forgotten just how majestic these trees were. You won't be surprised to learn there is an organic lunch spot on the grounds, which we thoroughly enjoyed.




After the quiet, majestic beauty of Muir Woods, we raced down the Marin Headlands to Battery Spenser.

view of San Francisco


This is a not to be missed stop for anyone visiting the Bay Area. 


Battery Spenser was a reinforced gun battery built in the late 1800's to guard the entrance to San Francisco Bay. Perched on a bluff above the north tower of the Golden Gate Bridge, it affords spectacular views.  It is one of the best spots to take photographs of the bridge and bay.

north tower of Golden Gate Bridge


I knew to leave my hat in the car because the winds were fierce...but I didn't anticipate the wind ripping my sunglasses right off my face and tossing them down the bluff.

bluff over GG bridge


I was fully prepared to consider them lost. Prescription or not, I didn't plan to dig around on the steep bluff, in the scrub brush...in those winds...with my broken foot. I could just picture a gust knocking me down the hill. 

Vanessa was about to go after them when a nice young man called out to us, then dove head first to rescue them. 
I thanked him profusely, but realized as I drove away, I should have told him how chivalrous he was. He appeared no older than 16.  As he climbed up the hill...my sunglasses in hand...his cute little girlfriend remarked, "There's still good guys out there"!  So very true!

Chivalrous:
1. having the qualities of chivalry, as courage, courtesy, and loyalty.
2. considerate and courteous to women; gallant.
3. gracious and honorable toward an enemy, especially a defeated one, and toward the weak or poor.

When is the last time you met a chivalrous man? 

I put my daughter on her plane home tonight, and tomorrow my life returns to what passes for normal. 

24 comments:

  1. Jen, Loved this! Missed you and glad to see what fun you've been having! I'd love to go to the Willow Stream sometime too. The River Inn looks so charming! I plan to go back to Domain Carneros. It's all reminding me of our trip and how much I love Napa.
    Your daughter is so pretty. You guys could be sisters! Fun post.Good to catch up with you. Miss you. xxoo Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. She is a doll!! A much younger doll. It reminded me of our time together as well. Let's plan lunch soon!xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh she's gorgeous, just like her mum. That landscape that you live in - wow oh wow, oh to live like that.
    I loathe the countryside here yet live right on the edge of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabs!! Maybe you can visit us next year!!

      Delete
  3. Oh you have given me joy this morning. I have roughly one month left with Em before she heads back to college. This will most likely be her last summer home. So now the hope and joy is there when I see and hear the adventures you and your beautiful daughter still continue to share. As far as chivalrous, I live in the South...married one, raised one, and see other chivalrous men quite often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adventures are so important...as two grown women sharing. Enjoy your Em as long as possible. Ah yes, the chivalrous southern gentleman. Lucky you.

      Delete
  4. Your pictures are so much fun Jennifer and I am so happy your were able to spend all of this quality time with your daughter. All of this wine tasting and Napa Valley.. you are becoming an expert in wines I'm sure;) Your can't beat the food in Napa Valley either. It's so fresh and I like all the different ways the olives are marinated. Sweet story you shared about the glasses. I'm glad you were able to get them back! Enjoy your week ahead and Happy Monday! xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great mother/daughter visit! Let me be the first to mention that you ladies rock a fedora! Good for that young man assisting a lady in need. Chivalry will always carry the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will always carry the day. I expect you are extremely chivalrous GSL. The Fedora is so easy to wear and has so much attitude!!

      Delete
  6. OH MY!What fun and very very busy YOU have been!I was just at the NAPA hotel SATURDAY eating at ANGELAS??With my dogs and husband!We were en-route home from HEALDSBURG.You are so lucky to have a daughter!!!!WHAT FUN............I haven't been to the SONOMA MISSION INN in years.............perhaps I will take my body and place it down on one of their chaise lounges soon!As far as knowing a CHIVALROUS man.............well I live with one!I know I am one lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those chaises are magical Elizabeth. You deserve to treat yourself. xo

      Delete
  7. Oh, what a wonderful time you must have had! Sounds absolutely perfect, from the food and wine to the spa to gorgeous nature, but esp. being with your beautiful daughter. So nice of the young man; little kindnesses are always worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, there is no mistaking her as your daughter !!!
    Looks like you guys were having so much fun, my friend.
    Have a 50% off everything in my shop going on today.
    xxs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marsha. You have some pretty terrific things on sale!!!!

      Delete
  9. Love your fedora hat.. perfect memories to end your trip on with that young bloke retrieving your sunnies.. good on him! thanks for sharing this great trip.. aah the joys of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joys of life are what make it worthwhile. The young man was a true delight. Made my afternoon.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful time you all had. You hit some of my favorite spots, so I was able to relive the experience vicariously. Beautiful daughter! Mom's not bad either! How's the foot doing? I will be in touch this week. I promise! I owe you a long e-mail.

    Ciao for now, M-T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foot sucks, but I'm not letting it slow me down. Thanks my friend. I can't wait to catch up. xoxox

      Delete
  11. Jennifer I loved this post! I scrolled through all the photos and I especially enjoyed seeing your daughter. She's beautiful, looks just like Mama. I have to admit when I hear about Mom/Daughter times like these I feel a little sniff sniff. You're so blessed to have a daughter to have such fun adventures with. My boys are wonderful, but I shall have to wait for them to settle down before I can have girly times like these. BTW--thanks for staying in touch during such a tough time for me. I've missed my blogging friendships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie! You're weathering your tough time with grace, elegance and strength. I admire your fortitude. My blog friendships are very important to me. With you all the way doll!! How's escrow going?? xoxo

      Delete
  12. You and your daughter look so much alike. And so much fun to spend time with her in such a beautiful place. Inspiring me to take off with my "girls" for some fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful description of time well spent with your daughter. Building memories is so important. I love the story of chivalry and the word 'gallant.' Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This all looks amazing Jennifer! Glad you´re having the best of times! xo Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh your daughter is beautiful, it must be amazing to have them all grown up like that. And she has her mama's taste, those fedoras look great on all of you. I can't do hats, not sure what is weird about my head but its something...

    ReplyDelete